A Straightforward Guide on Online Sports Betting
Bookmakers, also known as sportsbooks, offer sports enthusiasts an excellent way to bet on their favorite sporting events and win some money. It’s one of the most lucrative forms of gambling the world over.
In many jurisdictions, bookmakers accept bets on professional sports. Besides, some even allow you to wager on popular awards such as the Academy Awards, the Ballon d’Or, and the Grammy Awards.
How to Create Your Account at a Bookmaker
Creating your bookmaker account shouldn’t be a challenging process. Modern sportsbooks have intuitive platforms that guide you when signing up. So even though there’s no conventional way of creating your account at bookmakers, the requirements are virtually the same.
Here is a straightforward guide to help you register with the bookmaker of your choice:
- Visit the bookmaker’s official website.
- Look for the registration button. The common labels for the button include Sign Up, Create Account, Join Now, and Register. In most cases, the button is located on the homepage or landing page.
- Click on the button to display a registration form.
- Provide all required info in the registration form, including your name, e-mail address, password, phone number, and so on.
- Click on the button at the end of the registration form to submit your details for verification. The button may have similar labels to the one for displaying the registration form.
- Upon successful verification of your details, most bookmakers will automatically log you in. You can then fund your account and get started on your betting journey at the sportsbook. If a welcome bonus is available, go through the terms and conditions to understand what you need to claim it.
The Sports to Bet On At a Bookmaker
Bookmakers often offer betting services on professional sporting events. However, each operator has the freedom to choose what events to offer plus the betting options. Popular sports you are likely to find on the game libraries of most sportsbooks include:
Betting Types Available At Bookmakers
Bookmakers have several ways to bet on sports. Again, the types of betting available may vary from one operator to another. But there are popular betting options you’ll find at most sports betting sites. Here they are:
1. Futures: A futures bet is just as the name suggests. In other words, you simply bet on the team or player you feel will win a contest that will take place in the future. For instance, you could place your wager on a specific team to win the EPL before the season kicks off;
2. Moneyline: A moneyline is also known as a straight bet and is the easiest wager to place. In this case, you bet on the team or player you feel will win a match;
3. Point spread: A point spread is almost like a straight bet. The difference is you state the points by which a team or player will win a competition. For instance, you could bet on a football team to win a match by +2.5. Since there is no half a goal in football, the team must win by at least 3 goals for your bet to go through;
4. Prop bets: A prop bet doesn’t require you to do a lot of analysis, and it may not necessarily affect the results of a contest. A perfect example is betting on the first team to score or how many yellow cards there shall be in a football match;
5. Parlays: This is an intriguing type of bet. In a parlay, you can combine different types of bets in one bet. For instance, you can add a point spread and a prop bet on the same parlay;
6. Over/under: This is also known as a „totals bet“, and it combines the scores of both teams playing a match. For example, you could wager on a football match between Germany and Brazil to end in a total score of over 1.5 or under 1.5;
7. In-play: In-play or „live betting“ involves betting on a sporting event that is already in progress.
Banking Options Available At Bookmakers
Banking is vital for a sportsbook because bettors have to fund their accounts and make withdrawals when they win. Therefore, most bookmakers partner with banking service providers to facilitate that.
The deposit and withdrawal options available at different sportsbooks may vary, but they fall under the following categories:
- E-wallets: These are known to be some of the fastest banking options bookmakers accept. Examples include Skrill, Neteller, etc
- Credit/debit cards: Credit and debit cards are also fairly fast methods of depositing funds into your sportsbook account and withdrawing winnings. Popular options include Visa and MasterCard
- Bank transfers: Bank transfers enable you to transfer funds from your sportsbook wallet to your bank account
- Cryptocurrency: Some bookmakers allow you to use cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and more
Bookmakers are perfect for sports devotees interested in betting on their favorite sporting events and make some extra coins. Creating your account at a bookmaker is relatively straightforward because most of the platforms are intuitive.
Besides, they accept several banking options to let you choose your preferred method of funding your account and withdrawing your winnings. They also offer betting on different sports and offer you several ways to bet.
Whereas there’s plenty of options on the internet for sports betting fans looking for a bookmaker, not every sportsbook you find is a fit for your needs. It is, therefore, important to assess the site before signing up.
- Do bookmakers charge registration fees?
With tons of bookmakers available on the web, competition for customers is stiff. For that reason, bookmakers allow bettors free registration.
- Who is allowed to register at a bookmaker?
International gambling laws do not allow underage betting. Therefore, legal and legit bookmakers will allow you to bet on their sites when you are 18 and over. Some even set the legal age at 21.
- Do bookmakers give bettors some bonuses?
Yes, but not all. Some will give you a welcome pack in bonus credits that you can use to place wagers on different sporting events.
- Is it safe to bet at a bookmaker?
Not all bookmakers are safe. Some are scams out to fleece unsuspecting sports betting fans of their money. Therefore, always check whether a trusted authority licenses the sportsbook you want to join. Moreover, ensure the site uses industry-standard security protocols such as secure socket layer (SSL).