English Premier League is undoubtedly the most-watched sports in the world. The league has 20 clubs and attracts more than 4.7 billion people. These are the people who watch the league on TVs from more than 212 territories. In this article, you will know the history of the league and the clubs in the EPL. You will also know more about when the teams play and standings in the Premier League table.
History of the English Premier League
The English Premier League dates back to 1992. Specifically, the league was founded on 20th February 1992 after the clubs in the Football League First Division decided to break away from the league. Their aim was to take advantage of the television deal that was worth £1 billion. During this time, BT Group and Sky secured a domestic right to broadcast 38 and 116 games, respectively. In a nutshell, the league can be described as a corporation where the teams are the main shareholders.
Teams in the English Premier League Table
Presently, the league has 20 teams. However, the teams that have played since inception are 50. 48 teams are from England while 2 teams are from Wales. Then, each team must play 19 matches home and 19 matches away. For a win, a team gets 3 points and one point for a draw. In case of a defeat, a team will not get any point. The team with the most points wins the Premier League title. What’s more, the last 3 teams in the league are relegated to the Championship League. After that, they are replaced by the first three teams from the Championship League. Some of the leading teams in the league include Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Leicester City, Tottenham, Arsenal, Everton, etc.
When do the Teams Play?
The English Premier League happens between August and May. Also, the games are, in most cases, played on Saturday and Sunday of every week. In some rare cases, however, you may find some games being played during weekdays. This happens especially to the postponed matches.
English Premier League Standings
At this point, you know the teams that you will find in the English Premier League table. Now, the next thing worth noting is how teams are ranked on the table. In our surebets.bet Premier League table, you will find teams ranked based on the following criteria:
- Points (PTS). This is the first criteria used to rank the teams. The team with the most points is the first one in the table. In other words, it is the leading team.
- Won matches (W). You will also find teams ranked based on the number of matches they have won.
- Lost Matches (L). Our English Premier League table will also show you the number of matches the team has lost.
- Draw (D). In our table, you will find teams ranked based on the number of times the teams have finished matches with a tie.
- Goal for (G+). This is the number of all goals scored in all matches.
- Goals against (G-). The Premier league table also features the number of goals conceded by a team.
- Goals Difference (GD). In a nutshell, this is a tiebreaker used to rank teams that end with equal points. It is the difference between Goals for and Goals against.
English Premier League is indeed a favorite league for many punters. If you are of these punters, you can check out our Premier League table. The table has current standings/rankings that will help you make an informed decision. If you will, for instance, know which team is leading in terms of points, goals, won matches, lost matches, goal differences, etc.