Baccarat is indeed one of the easiest card games you will ever come across at online casinos. With baccarat, you will only place a bet and wait for the dealer to do all other things. This game is also played between two hands – one for the dealer and one for the player. As a player, you will either bet on the player’s hand or the banker’s hand. Better still, you have a chance to bet on a tie. Well, betting on a tie is not recommended as it is impossible for the game to end like that.
In this guide, you will learn about the history of baccarat and the different types of game variations. You will also learn about strategies and how to play online. Let’s get started.
What is Baccarat?
Baccarat is a card game played between two hands – the player’s hand and the banker’s hand. Again, it is a game that has three possible outcomes. One of the outcomes is where the player will win the game. The second outcome is where the banker will win the game. Finally, the third outcome is where the game will end in a tie. As a player, you can bet on one of these three possible outcomes.
History of Baccarat
The origin of baccarat is still debated, but many people believe that it originated in Italy in the 1400s. There are some who believe it originated from France, but the Italian version is the most popular one. Historians say that the game was created by Felix Falguiere, who called the game “baccara.”
Baccara means zero in Italian. Felix named this game “Baccara” because all tens and face cards were worth zero. As the card game continued to spread, it became popular in France, where it acquired the name “Baccarat“.
Baccarat is the French spelling and is the most popular name of the game across the world.
Historians also believe that Felix designed the game based on Etruscan Folklore, who used to throw a die with nine sides. Well, the version of the story is different as some believe that it was a pregnant woman. Every time she threw eight or nine, she got a promotion to become a priestess. On the other side, if she threw a six or seven, she would stay alive but lose her priestly roles. If she threw lower than 6, she would be sentenced to death.
Different Types of Games
There are many baccarat variations for you to choose from. The most popular ones you can expect to find at online casinos include:
- Baccarat Banque – This is one of the oldest variations. With this version, a new dealer is chosen during the start of each round. In other words, the dealer who makes the largest bet or the one who first joined the game becomes the dealer. What’s more, the game has three standard decks, and the dealer reshuffles the cards immediately after executing the staking process. Another thing worth noting is that the banco is only available to the one dealing the cards.
- Punto Banco – Punto Banco is the card game played with 6 standard decks of 52 cards. Additionally, each player and bank is dealt with one card to start the game. The two hands must be dealt with in order to determine whether a third card will be drawn or not.
- Mini Baccarat – It has the same gameplay as Punto Banco. The game, however, has eight standard decks. It is also played on a smaller table compared to other versions.
- Chemin De Fer – In this version, players compete against each other instead of competing against the dealer. Before the game starts, the banker must keep aside the money he wants to stake. After that, each of the players announces that they want to place a bet equal to that of the banker. The process continues until players reach the amount staked by the banker.
- Dragon Tiger – This is similar to Punto Banco. However, both the banker and the player will receive a single card only instead of two cards.
- European Blackjack – With this version, a player can decide to draw or stand once the total of the hand gets 5. On the other hand, the banker is allowed to decide whether to draw an additional card or not.
Strategies and Tips
You don’t have to be an experienced player in order to play baccarat and win some bucks. Specifically, you only need to apply the right betting strategy. Once you do that, you will smile all the way to the bank.
Below are the tested and proven strategies you can apply:
- Never bet on a “tie” – the chances of a baccarat game ending in a tie are minimal.
- Always bet on the banker – the banker will win over 50% of the time.
- Don’t give up after the banker loss – instead of giving up, you should wait for the next decision.
- Bankroll management – you should know when to take your chips and walk away.
Baccarat has some drawing rules you need to be conversant with before you start playing. The most popular rules include:
- If a player or banker is dealt a total of 8 or 9, both of them must stand.
- If the player’s total is 5 or less, then he/she must draw another card. Otherwise, the player must stand.
- If the player stands, the banker hits on a total of five or less.
- In case of a tie, the payout will be 8:1.
How to Play Baccarat Online
Playing the game at online casinos is hassle-free. You can follow the below steps and get started right away:
- Choose the game. The first step is to choose the variation you want to play.
- Choose your stake. Each of the games has a betting area where you will choose your stakes.
- Place a bet. You can either bet on player, banker, or tie.
- Get paid. In case you win on the player, the payout is 1:1. The house edge, in this case, is 1.24% over the player. On the other hand, a win on the banker will payout 1:1. The house edge, in this case, is 1.06%. In case of a tie, you will receive a payout of 8:1.
Baccarat is a guess game, meaning both newcomers and experienced players can play it. It is, however, good to apply the right betting strategy if you want to avoid losses. It is also good to understand the rules, so you don’t look like an amateur during the gameplay.
If you feel like giving baccarat a shot, we recommend you try out variations offered by the casinos recommended by surebets.bet. The variations you will find at these casinos are the best on the market. Whether you like Dragon Tiger, Punto Banco, or European Blackjack, you will find them at these casinos.