Blackjack is one of the most popular casino games in the world. Well, this game is so popular because it has a low house edge compared to other online games. The low house edge means that players have more chances of winning. In fact, if you apply the right blackjack strategy, you can reduce the house edge to less than 1%.
In this guide, we will tell you the history of blackjack and the basic betting strategy you need to apply. We will also tell you how to play blackjack, the applicable rules, and the games available. Once you learn all this, you will be good to start your gaming journey on the right foot at one of the casinos recommended by surebets.bet.
What is Blackjack?
Blackjack is a gambling game of skill and chance where players aim at getting the highest hands without going beyond 21. It is known by many gamblers as 21. For you to win the game, you must have the highest hand. On the other hand, if the hand is beyond 21, you will burst or forfeit the hand.
History of Blackjack
Up to date, there is no clear evidence on the origin of Blackjack. However, researchers believe that the game originated in French casinos around 1700. During this time, the French cards were referred to as “Vingt-et-un,” which means 21. These cards were derived from Chemin De Fer, which were the most popular cards at that time. Additionally, the card game was mostly played at the French Royal Court.
There is also another theory explaining that it was invented by Romans. This is because Romans loved to gamble, but this is not yet confirmed. Again, it is believed that Romans played the game using wooden blocks instead of paper cards. The wooden blocks had numbers painted on them. With the help of French colonists, the card game gained popularity in North America in the 18th century. Thereafter, the game would be played in legalized gambling halls in 1820. This card game has grown since then and is now one of the most played games on many gambling websites.
Types of Blackjack Games
Like any other table game, blackjack has different types of variations. These variations are similar, but they have a slight difference. Therefore, it is good you note down the differences before you start playing the games. The most popular variations include:
- Classic Blackjack – also known as the American Blackjack, is the original format of the game. In this variation, the dealer and the player will get two cards, one face up and the other face down. The aim of this game variant is to get hands that total or get close to 21. If the total goes beyond 21, then the player bursts.
- European Blackjack – The gameplay here is the same as the one in the Classic variant. However, the two cards of the player face up while one of the dealer’s cards will face up and the other one face down. What’s more, the player must decide after seeing his cards. Also, it is only the dealer who gets to see his second card.
- Blackjack Switch – This is also the same as the American version, but it has two legs. In other words, the player and the dealer will each get four cards, and they can combine to form a hand. If the player wins the game, however, the amount will be split 50:50. In other blackjack games, the amount is split in the ratio of 60:40.
- Spanish 21 Blackjack – With this game, players have a chance to redouble their cards up to three times. Again, all cards with 10 will not be available in the decks. This game will contain 6-8 decks of cards, and players can double even after a split.
- Blackjack Perfect Pairs – In this variant, players are given the perfect pair side bet. This is done before the cards are dealt, and if the first two cards have the save value, the side bet wins.
There are many blackjack strategies that you can apply and make the most out of your bet. Whether you are a newcomer or an experienced player, you need to apply a strategy that works best for you. Some of the basic strategies that have been tested and proven include the following:
- Keep hitting until you get to 13 or above. You will only do this if the dealer has a two or three.
- If the dealer has a four to six, don’t hit when you get to 12 or above
- If the dealer has 7 or more, keep hitting until you reach 17 and above.
Like any other table game, blackjack has rules that you need to be aware of. It is, however, good to note that the rules may vary from one casino to another. The basic ones include:
- Split – If your first two cards are a pair, you can split them and create two hands. You must, however, fund the split by placing a second bet with the same value as the first.
- Double down – According to this rule, you can double your bet while hitting. When you double, you will receive an extra card, and you will not hit again.
- Insurance – This is a side bet and is offered to a player if the dealer’s up card is an ace. Moreover, the bet insures players by giving them a chance to break even on the hand.
- Surrender – If you are unable to beat the dealer, you can surrender. Once you do this, you will lose half of the stake.
How to Play Blackjack Online
Playing blackjack at online casinos is pretty simple. The game begins by placing a bet first. Then, the dealer will give each player two cards. The dealer will also take two cards to start the game. Your two cards as a player are dealt face up while one of the dealer’s cards remains face down. Once you get your cards, you can add them together to see the card total. If the total is 21, you will win the game. On the other hand, if it is over 21, you will burst.
Playing blackjack online is fun. It is a game of skills and chance, meaning it can be played by anyone. Also, it is the only card game you can play and win big. This is because it has a low house edge, and you even have a chance to reduce the house edge to below 1%. If you are up for this game, be sure to follow all the rules. In addition to that, you need to apply the right betting strategy if you want to enjoy the game.