After a disappointing defeat against Uruguay, Brazil are back in action. They will face Colombia away from home tomorrow in the World Cup Qualifiers from the South American Zone, commonly known as CONMEBOL.
Brazil is the most successful team in the history of football, having won five FIFA World Cups. But their recent time is not going well. Despite having so many stars in the squad, Brazil had to end their journey from the quarter-final of the Qatar World Cup as Croatia knocked them out by a penalty shootout. As a result of that, the Brazil Football Association sacked manager Tite and appointed Fernando Diniz as the first team manager.
But Brazil’s performance in recent games is not going well under the new coach. Brazil stands in third at the Qualifier’s point table with 7 points. However, Colombia is in 5th with one point behind Brazil. Tomorrow’s game is a chance for Colombia to overtake Brazil in the point table.
Stats & Facts
- Since the defeat against Croatia in the Qatar World Cup, Brazil have played seven matches in all competitions. But the Selecao have lost three of those seven games, while they won three and tied one.
- Brazil scored 14 goals in seven matches after the Qatar World Cup, while they conceded 11 goals during that time.
- The Selecao are winless in their last two games they played in the qualifiers. Having a draw against Venezuela, Brazil lost their last game against Uruguay.
- Colombia, however, missed the Qatar World Cup as they failed to qualify, they are still unbeaten in the Qualifiers. They won their first game and tied the following three matches in the Qualifiers.
- Since Colombia missed the Qatar World Cup, they couldn’t play many games like others. They played only nine games in 2023. But surprisingly, Colombia haven’t lost a single match in 2023.
- Colombia kept five clean sheets in their last six matches. The only game they conceded a goal was against Uruguay, which ended in a 2-2 tie.
Liverpool’s star player Luis Diaz has been called up for the match against Brazil. But the home team has to deal with several injuries as Santiago Arias and Mateo Casseirra are unavailable due to injury. However, James Rodriguez, Jhon Arias, and Richard Rios are all in contention to feature in midfield.
As for Brazil, goalkeeper Ederson will miss the game due to injury. Star boy Neymar Jr is also unavailable because of his hamstring injury. Brazil’s injury list includes Casemiro, Eder Militao, and Richarlison, while Gabriel Jesus returned to the squad after his injury.
Possible Lineup for Colombia:
Montero; Mosquera, Cuesta, Sanchez, Machado; Uribe, Lerma; J. Arias, Rodriguez, Dias; Borre
Possible Lineup for Brazil:
Alisson; Emerson, Marquinhos, Gabriel, Augusto; Guimaraes, Andre, Joelinton; Rodrygo, Pedro, Vinicius Jr
Prediction: Colombia 1-0 Brazil
Brazil are not in their prime form, and the absence of Neymar is a massive blow for the Selecao. On the other hand, Colombia showed their defensive solidity in their previous six games. As the home side, Colombia will have the home advantage, which can be a key factor to beat Brazil.
Betfair Odds are available on BFB247